Skip to main content

The Snow Crocus

Friends, I haven't been going out to the greenhouse much for the past few months. It's been rainy and cold, and while last year I had a working heater in there, it's a no go this year -- electrical issues. Almost everything in there was dead or dying, just like the rest of the plants in the yard, and boo hoo, it just wasn't the same.

But this morning I went out there, and what did I find? Pot after pot with bulbs popping up (yes!), and yep, still a huge mess to clean up. I needed a pair of scissors to start chopping away and clearing out the dead plants, and I started heading out the door when I spotted something orange blooming. I stepped closer, looked down, and the orange snow crocus introduced itself. Crouching down, I felt the most wonderful promise of spring coming, and blessed those delicate blooms from my deepest heart. 



I've never had a snow crocus before, but I've got more that should bloom soon in the kitchen, along with my beautiful red and pink tulips and amaryllis, baby elephant ears, lemon trees, and more -- we've made the kitchen a temporary greenhouse church underneath the hanging pots and pans. 



As I walked around the yard today, I noticed the cabbage still looking fabulous (we won't go hungry), and around the corner of the greenhouse, tulips coming up by the dozens. We'll have irises again, and gladiolus, and the peach and apple trees and crepe myrtles will bloom. "Pretty soon," David tells me often to keep my spirits up.

My kitchen is really a wonderful, messy place. David loves to cook, and it seems like the house always smells delicious as a result. Today, I ran across a blog post by Karen Bemmes called How to Fall in Love with the Heart of Your Home, which is about making the most of your kitchen as a homey, happy place of wonder. I think you'd enjoy it.

So... even though I haven't been out in the Church in the Greenhouse much, I've been having services elsewhere. In the mornings, I've been painting upstairs in the makeshift art studio. I'm doing the 100 Day Project, which involves doing something creative every day for 100 days. I decided to paint. It's day 20, and frankly I'm amazed by what I've been able to do. Some of the paintings have been disasters, but several have actually been much better than anything I thought I could do. I'm going to enjoy doing 80 more of these 16 x 20 seascapes, barns, cabins, lakes, ponds, marshes, mountains, and many, many trees. That's how we learn: by doing, failing, succeeding, growing, changing.

You can see a Valentine's Day painting I did in this photo ...


There goes the neighbor doing her daily walk. I watch her from the bedroom window. I've settled in to do some schoolwork and dream some more of spring and summer. It has stopped raining, and when I need a touch of sunshine, I can go look at the marvelous orange snow crocus.

Something else that lifts my pandemic spirits is an app called Fabulous. Here are some invitations I found there:





Hope you try one of these today... I challenge you. Now I'm joining a friend (virtually) for yoga.

Pretty soon, my friends, pretty soon.

Love,

Tamara

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cicada Song

(borrowed from  Obviously Chloe They're back, and they are mighty --- out in full force, showing off. Cousin to the leafhopper and froghopper, I hear. And while I listen, I am also tuning in to Jubilee Circle , the community church I attend (virtually, at the moment). The service began with a gentle piece on violin. Via Positiva Theme: remaining open. Hearts wide open. One blink away from being fully awake (thank you, Pema Chodron). We need something to wake us up. Drumbeat, sage, find the four directions, and listen to the voices of the cicada. Most of the time it lives underground, growing for years into an adult. Cicadas drink the sap from trees, and in large swarms cause destruction. This year is the once in 17-year mating cycle, according to  Jason Slotkin of NPR.  Cicadas mean summer. They are invested in mating. What is it, friends, that we are investing ourselves in? Does the soul stand a chance in this withering political climate? Have you heard of the cicada kil

Reaping What I Sow

That's the essence of karma, isn't it, and really the core of the golden rule as well: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you... because that's probably how it's going to work out. The hurt we caused years ago may come back to humble us in the form of a humiliating sting or a gaping heart wound today. We often reap what we sow, and it's great in the garden. It can be great in everyday life, in our spiritual work, too, if we are sowing good seeds full of grace and compassion. (painting by  Carol Wisniewski ) I don't know if you've ever caused any pain to other people, but I have --- and I've written about it before, and worked to forgive myself, and all those kinds of spirtual practices, but I still regret it. I've never understood when people say they don't have any regrets. I remember hearing a friend say that once in front of his wife, whom he had hurt terribly at one time -- to the point that they divorced, but later remarrie

When the Roof Caves In...

Two nights ago, while I was sleeping, a heavy rainfall crushed the greenhouse roof, which was not much after all but PVC pipes and plastic. We had a couple of pipes we put in for reinforcement (propped up) when it rained, but we didn't know it was raining, and isn't that just how it goes? The rain comes, the roof falls, while you're sleeping. No fear, congregation. As I was taught, the church isn't the building. It's the creatures who inhabit it, in a spirit of community and grace and all good things. Only a few of the plants were bruised and disorganized, but well glory... everything is alright. Look here, new green shoots, new underfeathering, leaves widening and spreading. We are alive. One of my favorite poems is really a hymn because what is a hymn but an act of praise, a song, a poem? Here's the whole thing (go on... you'll be glad you did):  "Sestina" But oh... this line: Time to plant tears , says the almanac. Yes, time to plant