Skip to main content

Purged


Today, I ventured out to the greenhouse and worked in there for about 20-30 minutes. Even with the small box window airconditioner and the ocillating fan that belonged to my mother, the heat was intense enough that I was covered in sweat in about 10 minutes. Surprisingly, I did not mind it. I felt, in fact, vigorously alive, purged, and ... well, like I was having a spiritual experience. I understood what it might be like to be in a sweat lodge except my version is a small forest of green humidity.

I have been reading My Experience in an Inipi Native American Sweat Lodge Ceremony -- and learning. The author, Michael Chary, mentions the "bogus sweat lodge ceremony in Arizona" where people died:

"A new age group outside of Sedona was running a large “sweatbox” with 50 to 60 people inside – about five times the number of people normally welcomed into a lodge. The “ceremony” took place at a for-profit resort without native sanctioning or supervision. A clear example of what can go wrong when native culture is appropriated."




(painting by Ikce Wicasa, https://www.artmajeur.com/en/ikce-wicasa/artworks/10837756/sweat-lodge-inipi)

The true sweat lodge ceremony is an act of purification, a practice of being re-born and restoring strength. The lodge itself is made of willow trees covered with hides, and it is part of a specific landscape:

"On the outside, the formation of the site comprises an earth mound just outside the door of the sweat lodge, facing east, and a fire pit containing stones. The fire represents the sun. Another mound partially encircling the fire pit represents the crescent moon. This is the outer world or cosmos; the inner world is the sweat lodge. It represents the womb of the universe from which souls are created anew." (Inipi)

Prayer is an important part of preparation.

Entering my greenhouse door seems to me to be a prayer. I invite all that is good, healthy, and plentiful to join me there. And anything I bring with me that is negative, I hope to let it go. Whatever my strong emotions may be, I hope to use "compassionate abiding" (thank you, Candace Chellew, for introducing this term to me) --- to sit with them until they subside or make more sense. If you don't know Candace, she's the pastor at Jubilee Circle, where I actually attend church when I'm not keeping church at home with dirt under my fingernails.

I've been watching her services online, and today she reminded us how kind it is to give ourselves a cold cup of water (literally and spiritually). When I'm in the greenhouse sweating, I know that when I leave that sacred space, I can go to the kitchen and quench my thirst, and it is a gift. 

If you want to get up close and personal with a glass of ice water, take a look at James Gurney's video Painting Ice Water.

Chardin has also given us this marvelous still life, if we are willing to get still and truly see it:




"Chardin always looks at the world as if he is seeing it for the first time. The intensity of his vision focuses on the beauty of the everyday objects that surround us - a beauty that we take for granted as we are often too close to see it. From Chardin we learn that there is hidden character on the charred surface of an old coffee pot, or a jewel-like radiance in the crystal clarity of a glass of water. Like all good art his paintings open our eyes and teach us to see afresh." Glass of Water and Coffee Pot

So... where are we looking for beauty, power, and strength? A friend shared with me that years ago she participated in a true sweat lodge ceremony, and  it was an exceptional experience, one she probably won't repeat, but she understood the power of it. The thing she wanted most at the end was a big glass of water.

What are you thirsty for? Come by the greenhouse, and I'll pour you something. Be prepared to sweat a little first.

Tamara



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cicada Song

(borrowed from  Obviously Chloe They're back, and they are mighty --- out in full force, showing off. Cousin to the leafhopper and froghopper, I hear. And while I listen, I am also tuning in to Jubilee Circle , the community church I attend (virtually, at the moment). The service began with a gentle piece on violin. Via Positiva Theme: remaining open. Hearts wide open. One blink away from being fully awake (thank you, Pema Chodron). We need something to wake us up. Drumbeat, sage, find the four directions, and listen to the voices of the cicada. Most of the time it lives underground, growing for years into an adult. Cicadas drink the sap from trees, and in large swarms cause destruction. This year is the once in 17-year mating cycle, according to  Jason Slotkin of NPR.  Cicadas mean summer. They are invested in mating. What is it, friends, that we are investing ourselves in? Does the soul stand a chance in this withering political climate? Have you heard of the cicada kil

Reaping What I Sow

That's the essence of karma, isn't it, and really the core of the golden rule as well: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you... because that's probably how it's going to work out. The hurt we caused years ago may come back to humble us in the form of a humiliating sting or a gaping heart wound today. We often reap what we sow, and it's great in the garden. It can be great in everyday life, in our spiritual work, too, if we are sowing good seeds full of grace and compassion. (painting by  Carol Wisniewski ) I don't know if you've ever caused any pain to other people, but I have --- and I've written about it before, and worked to forgive myself, and all those kinds of spirtual practices, but I still regret it. I've never understood when people say they don't have any regrets. I remember hearing a friend say that once in front of his wife, whom he had hurt terribly at one time -- to the point that they divorced, but later remarrie

When the Roof Caves In...

Two nights ago, while I was sleeping, a heavy rainfall crushed the greenhouse roof, which was not much after all but PVC pipes and plastic. We had a couple of pipes we put in for reinforcement (propped up) when it rained, but we didn't know it was raining, and isn't that just how it goes? The rain comes, the roof falls, while you're sleeping. No fear, congregation. As I was taught, the church isn't the building. It's the creatures who inhabit it, in a spirit of community and grace and all good things. Only a few of the plants were bruised and disorganized, but well glory... everything is alright. Look here, new green shoots, new underfeathering, leaves widening and spreading. We are alive. One of my favorite poems is really a hymn because what is a hymn but an act of praise, a song, a poem? Here's the whole thing (go on... you'll be glad you did):  "Sestina" But oh... this line: Time to plant tears , says the almanac. Yes, time to plant