Skip to main content

Hymn to the Greenhouse

 Hello, friends, and Happy Sunday. The last few days have been cool -- we are leaving summer behind for good now. I've been out in the greenhouse cleaning up a bit; I've neglected it these first five weeks of school, but I'm ready to start planting again and ready for the fall and winter chapel version. We'll need new hymns, I think, and old ones, to stir the soul. I grew up on hymns... "How Great Thou Art," "Great is Thy Faithfulness," "Softly and Tenderly," and many more. 

Today, as I worked and sipped a Blood Mary with thyme from my garden and garlic salted cucumber (also homegrown and sliced with love), I listened to a band called Fear & Fable, and their tune "Hymn," featured on the album Fleurie. We love with the senses, don't we, as much as anything, and the fresh, cool taste of cucumber and tomato juice remind me. If you'd like to try the recipe, Give it Some Thyme


And it seems to me, listening, that a hymn is a tribute to belonging -- a call to remember that belonging.

"Somewhere high up in the air there
I had forgotten I belong to you"

We remember, and our mouths open with a song. I belong to the Church in the Greenhouse, to the mung bean sprouts, my childlike art on the walls, to the basil and bean, to the plants whose names I grew from seed but whose names I have forgotten. So it seems I need a hymn this morning. Let me try:

Oh, heavenly greenhouse, the gifts you bear belong to me,
and I as much belong to you in this place that sets me free.

Heavenly greenhouse, heavenly greenhouse,
don't you call my name and sigh,
for you know that my hands will linger
and tend the thyme if I pass by.

(It is a beginning, anyway. )

 Can you see the thyme tucked in the basket here? 

If I want something established in the sacred, I can always turn to John Montague, editor of a collection of traditional Irish verse, "from the Sixth Century to the Present."

((Painting by Tom Brown)


He Praises the Trees

Huge-headed oak,
you are tall, tall.
Small hazel, pick
me your secret nuts.

Alder, friendly one,
gleam, shine;
you bar no gap
with a toothed thorn.

Blackthorn, dark one,
provide sloes;
watercress, brim
the blackbirds' pools.

Small one, pathway
loiterer, green
leaved berry, give me
your speckled crimson.

Apple tree, let me
shake you strongly.
Rowan, drop me
your bright blossom.

Briar, relent.
Your hooks have fed
content till you
are filled with holy blood.

Church Yew, calm 
me with grave talk.
Ivy, bring dream 
through the dark wood.

Hollybush, bar me
from winter winds.
Ash, be a spear
in my fearful hand.

Birch, oh blessed
birchtree, sing
proudly the tangle
of the wind.
 
(Version: Robin Skelton)

I can also go online and have a church service with Jubilee Circle and listen to the meaningful instruction offered by the pastor, as I am doing now while I write to you. The band is singing "Give a Little Bit" by Supertramp as the introductory song today. You can see why this is my kind of church. Next on the bulletin: "I Make My Own Sunshine." Indeed, and how perfect for one like me, who grieves the summer when the fall winds make themselves known.

I will plant Zinna today -- a variety called "Giants of California," and make my own sunshine in the greenhouse if all goes well. Hope and generosity go well together, as I am learning from today's sermon. I have just read that zinnias are often given to friends who have been absent for a long time, or as a going away gift. I love the idea. More here. Come and see me, old friend, and you shall have one coming and going.


"Sing a song of seasons!  Something bright in all!  Flowers in the summer, fires in the fall." 
(R.L. Stevenson)

I have lived in the green, green of summer with hummingbirds hovering, the red hibiscus bursting as well as the tomatoes. It has been rich. The thing about summer is you can't hold on to it --- not quite --- but you can trade it for a crabapple, and it's only a little bitter. What if the things we really want, says the pastor, is what we give away, "because what has been given to us is divine," and in the moment of giving, we are moving forward, coming closer. It is like a celebration, and it is holy generosity.

"Domestic autumn, like an animal
long used to handling by those countrymen,
rubs her kind hide against the bedroom wall
sensing a fragrant child come back again"

(from "Another September," by Thomas Kinsella)


(painting by September McGee)

Doesn't the lady look as if she were born to sing a vibrant hymn?

Oh, heavenly greenhouse, what wish have I to make?
All the sighs for summer gone, the joys of autumn now to take...

Come by if you need a sanctuary,

Tamara















Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cicada Song

(borrowed from  Obviously Chloe They're back, and they are mighty --- out in full force, showing off. Cousin to the leafhopper and froghopper, I hear. And while I listen, I am also tuning in to Jubilee Circle , the community church I attend (virtually, at the moment). The service began with a gentle piece on violin. Via Positiva Theme: remaining open. Hearts wide open. One blink away from being fully awake (thank you, Pema Chodron). We need something to wake us up. Drumbeat, sage, find the four directions, and listen to the voices of the cicada. Most of the time it lives underground, growing for years into an adult. Cicadas drink the sap from trees, and in large swarms cause destruction. This year is the once in 17-year mating cycle, according to  Jason Slotkin of NPR.  Cicadas mean summer. They are invested in mating. What is it, friends, that we are investing ourselves in? Does the soul stand a chance in this withering political climate? Have you heard of the cicada kil

Reaping What I Sow

That's the essence of karma, isn't it, and really the core of the golden rule as well: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you... because that's probably how it's going to work out. The hurt we caused years ago may come back to humble us in the form of a humiliating sting or a gaping heart wound today. We often reap what we sow, and it's great in the garden. It can be great in everyday life, in our spiritual work, too, if we are sowing good seeds full of grace and compassion. (painting by  Carol Wisniewski ) I don't know if you've ever caused any pain to other people, but I have --- and I've written about it before, and worked to forgive myself, and all those kinds of spirtual practices, but I still regret it. I've never understood when people say they don't have any regrets. I remember hearing a friend say that once in front of his wife, whom he had hurt terribly at one time -- to the point that they divorced, but later remarrie

When the Roof Caves In...

Two nights ago, while I was sleeping, a heavy rainfall crushed the greenhouse roof, which was not much after all but PVC pipes and plastic. We had a couple of pipes we put in for reinforcement (propped up) when it rained, but we didn't know it was raining, and isn't that just how it goes? The rain comes, the roof falls, while you're sleeping. No fear, congregation. As I was taught, the church isn't the building. It's the creatures who inhabit it, in a spirit of community and grace and all good things. Only a few of the plants were bruised and disorganized, but well glory... everything is alright. Look here, new green shoots, new underfeathering, leaves widening and spreading. We are alive. One of my favorite poems is really a hymn because what is a hymn but an act of praise, a song, a poem? Here's the whole thing (go on... you'll be glad you did):  "Sestina" But oh... this line: Time to plant tears , says the almanac. Yes, time to plant